DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING
PONDICHERRY ENGINEERING COLLEGE
Dr.B.Mahesh Kumar, B.E.,M.Tech.,Ph.D.,
Phone: 0413-2655281-288, Extn.:515
| Educational Profile: |
| Ph.D.(2011) |
|Specialization|| : Electrical Machines and Control |
|Institution || : Jadavpur University |
|University || : Jadavpur University |
| PG(1996) |
|Course || : Process Control and Instrumentation |
|Institution || : REC Trichy |
|University|| : Bharathidasan University |
| UG(1991) |
|Course || : Electrical and Electronics Engineering |
|Institution || : Alagappa Chettiar College of Engineering and Technology |
|University|| : Madurai Kamaraj University |
| Publications: |
| National Journals: |
- B.Mahesh Kumar, S.Sathya, "Tuning of PI controller for Brushless dc drive using PSO optimization technique" The ICFAI Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Vol-5,No.4, pp.50-62,October 2012.
- B.Mahesh Kumar, Dr.G. Ravi, Dr.R.Chakrabarti, "Hybrid Speed control of sensor less brushless DC Motor with fuzzy based estimation" ICFAI Journal - Vol-4, No. 2 pp.21-41 April 2011.
- B.Mahesh Kumar, Dr.G. Ravi, Dr.R.Chakrabarti, "Robust Indirect Vector Control of Induction Motor using neuro - fuzzy controller". ICFAI Journal- Vol-2, No.4 pp. 31-45 October 2009.
- B.Mahesh Kumar, Dr.G. Ravi, Dr.R.Chakrabarti, "Sensor less speed control of brushless dc motor with fuzzy based Estimation" - Iranian Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, published in Volume 8, Issue 2, pp 119-125, Dec 2009.
- B.Mahesh Kumar, Dr.G.Ravi, Dr.R.Chakrabarti, "Indirect Vector Control of Induction Motor using Fuzzy Logic Technique under Variable Stator and Rotor Resistance" CIIT International Journal Artificial Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning May Issue 2009.
- B.Mahesh Kumar, Dr.G.Ravi, Dr.R.Chakrabarti, "Speed Control of a Separately Excited DC Motor Using Neural Network Controller" International Journal of AMSE - modeling, Automatic Control Vol.63, ,Issue-2, pp 52-63, 2008.
- B.Mahesh Kumar, R.Sivakami,S.Sridhar@Krishna, "Sensorless speed control of brushless dc motor using zero crossing detector", National Conference of Emerging Trends on Electrical Drives and controls, Anna University, March-2013
- B. Mahesh Kumar, G. Panneer Selvam, "Fuzzy based Estimation of Speed and Rotor Position of Brushless DC Motor", National Conference on Electrical Engg. Calicut, May-2007.
- B. Mahesh Kumar, N. Haja Fakrudeen, "Closed Speed Control of DC Motor using Fuzzylogic technique", Proc. Of the National Conference On Advances in Electrical Engg, March 2007.
- B. Mahesh Kumar, Dennis Thomas, V.P.Roopesh, "Evolutionary Programming based In-Situ Induction Motor Efficiency Determination" Proc. Of the National Conference On National Conference on Recent Advances in Electrical Engg. March- 2007, pp.4.47-4.51.
- B. Mahesh Kumar, G. Ravi, R.Chakrabarti, "Online Speed Estimation using Artificial Neural Networks for Induction Motor Drives" Proc. Of the National Conference On Soft Computing and Machine Learning, Bhubaneswar, March2006. pp. 250-254.
- B. Mahesh Kumar, P.Roshindas "Power Factor Correction Using Single phase Active Power Filter" Proc. Of the National Conference on Power Electronics and Drives PEDC Karaikudi, March-2006, pp. 136-141.
- B. Mahesh Kumar, "Intelligent Camera Monitoring System" Proc. Of the InternationalConference on Emerging Technologies in Intelligent System & Control, Coimbatore January 2005, pp. 609-614.
- B. Mahesh Kumar, "Automatic Power Factor Control" Proc. Of the National Conference on Emerging Trends in Engg & Tech. Hosur, Sep - 2003, pp 2.31-2.34.
| International Conferences: |
- B.Mahesh Kumar, Dr.G. Ravi, Dr.R.Chakrabarti, "Robust Indirect Vector Control of Induction Motor using Neural Network Technique under Variable Stator and Rotor Resistance", Proceedings of the International conference in MIT Manipal January 2010.
- B. Mahesh Kumar, G. Ravi, R.Chakrabarti "Vector Control of Induction Motor usingFuzzy Logic Technique", Proc. of the International Conference on Emerging Trends in Electrical Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, January 2007, pp. 292-296.
| Experience: |
| Professional Experience: |
- Associate Professor of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College (July, 2012 - present)
- Assistant Professor of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College (July, 2009 - July 2012)
- Senior Lecturer of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College (July, 2004 - July, 2009)
- Lecturer of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, PondicherryEngineering College (July, 1999 - July, 2004)
- Lecturer of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, SACET, Tiruchy (July, 1992 - July, 1999)
| Experience: |
| Professional Experience: |
- Associate Member, Institute of Engineers (India)Life Member,
- Indian Society of Technical EducationLife Member,
- System Society of India
| Projects and Research Guidance : |
| Areas of Research: |
- Electrical Machines
- Control and Instrumentation
| Funded Projects |
|Role|| :Co- Investigator |
|Topic || :Development of an intelligent System for Analysis and Control of Electrical Machines |
|Agency || :AICTE, New Delhi |
|Amount || :Rs.7.46 lakhs |
- Sridhar@Krishna.S "A New Approach for Torque ripple minimization in brushless dc motor using SEPIC converter" June 2013
- Sivakami.R. "Sensorless speed control of brushless dc motor using zero crossing detector" June 2012
- Priyadharisiny.s "Torque ripple minimization techniques in brushless dc motor" June 2011
- Sathya.S.A. "Application of deadbeat controller for brushless dc motor using PSO optimization technique" June 2011
- Sivaraj.D. "Direct Torque Control and ripple minimization of brushless dc motor" June 2010
- John Powl. "Analysis of Torque ripple in brushless dc motor" June 2009
- Vengadesh.M. "Speed control of DC Motor using different control techniques" June2008
- Djea Isaivendhan, "Performance comparison of various speed controllers for switched reluctance motor" June 2008
- Haja Fakrudeen, "Design and implementation of fuzzy logic control for a converter fed dc motor using microcontroller", June 2007
- Panneerselvam.G. "Estimation and speed control of brushless dc motor using hybrid technique", June 2007.
- Sathish Kumar, "Vector Control of induction motor using AI techniques" June 2007
- Roshindas.P.P, "Power Factor Correction of non-linear loads employing single phase active filter", June 2006.
| Courses / Conferences Attended: |
- "Computational Intelligence to Power System Analysis, Control and Optimization (CIPACO)" AICTE Sponsored Staff Development Programme (06.06.2011 to 10.06.2011), Department of Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry. June 2011.
- DIT sponsored STC on "Recent trends Information security" Organized by PEC-Puducherry during 29th November- 10th December, 2010.
- "Smart Operation and Control of Electrical Machines and Power System" AICTE Sponsored two weeks (02.06.2010 to 12.06.2010) SDP, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, PEC, June 2010.
- "Recent Trends in Parallel and Distributed Systems - Architecture, Operating systems and Algorithms" AICTE sponsored two weeks (16-11-2009 to 27-11-2009) SDP, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, PEC November 2009.
- "Intelligent system Applications to future challenges in Power Engineering" AICTE sponsored three days (9-9-2009 to 11-9-2009) seminar, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, PEC, September 2009.
- "Digital Control Systems" NITTTR sponsored one week (22-6-2009 t0 26-6-2009) short term program, NITTTR Kolkata June 2009.
- "Recent Trends in High voltage Engineering and Applications of Power Electronics to Power Systems" AICTE sponsored one week (June 2-6, 2008) short term program, SASTRA University, Thanjavur June 2008.
- "Thinking for Design: A conceptual and Pedagogical Tool for the Engineering Teachers" PEC sponsored two days (October 12-13 2007) FDP, PEC 2007.
- "Advances in Modelling, Simulation and Control for Power Electronic Drives" GAIL & ONGC sponsored two days (September 20-21 2007) SDP, PEC 2007.
- "Recent Trends in FACTS controllers and their Applications in Power System" AICTE sponsored two weeks (November 13-24, 2006) SDP, Mepco Schlenk Engg College, Sivakasi 2006.
- "National Seminar on Instrumentation Engineering - Practices, Teaching and Research" Organised by Anna university for two days (October 27-28, 2006), MIT campus 2006.
- "Intelligent Control in Robotics and Automation" AICTE sponsored two weeks (December 6-18,2004) STTP, NIT Calicut 2004.
- "DSP Hardware and software in Power Electronics" AICTE sponsored two weeks ( May 5-16, 2004) short term course, IIT Mumbai 2003.
- "Frontiers of Measurement and Instrumentation" sponsored by IIT Kharagpur two weeks (May 6-17, 2002) SDP,IIT khragpur 2002.
- "Intelligent Control" AICTE sponsored two weeks (June 11-23. 2001) STTP, BIT Mesra 2001.
- "Recent Trends in sustainable energy sources for the human development: Strategies for the 21 century" AICTE sponsored three weeks (December 9-29, 1999) refresher course, Bharathidasan University, Trichy 1999.
| Courses taught: |
| PG Level Courses: |
- Special Electric Machines
- Fuzzy Logic Technique
- UG Level Courses
- Electrical Machine - II
- Measurement and Instrumetation
- Utilization of Electric Energy
- Electrical Engineering (ECE, CS, E&I)
- Process Instrumentation System
- Electric Circuit Theory
- Measurement and Control
- Electrical Machines - II
- Electrical Engineering Lab (ECE, CS, E&I)
- Basic Engineering Lab